Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Pete Fowler / Jon Burgerman Interview..Secret Wars *All-star* edition

1. How would you describe your style?

JB: Wibbly and wobbly.

PF: My style came about by watching cartoons and reading comics. I would say I have a graphic cartoony style, though it has developed over the years. I tend to focus more on content than on style really.

2. What do you think about the concept of events like tonight’s Non Permanent Secret Wars?

JB: I’ve always been a fan of things where people can come and draw. I think it’s a really positive thing.When I was younger, doodling was a much more nerdy thing. But now it is in the public domain it’s a cool thing. It’s not nice when art is always for passive involvement. I like the fact that the crowd can get involved.

PF: I really like them. I used to work for a company in Japan that done events similar to this. It also can be compared to events like Doodlebug in Manchester. I appreciate the whole concept of the crowd being givens pens for their own chance to draw. There is a freedom to create, which is like being at junior school. I like the fact that there are no rules to it.

3. What does it feel to be part of the first All-Star edition of Secret Wars?You have done a lot of projects over the years. What’s been the highlight for you?

JB: I’m very humble and I’m very honoured to be part of this. The whole thing kind of leaves me feeling a bit weird, but in a nice way.

PF: It feels really good. I have unfortunately missed all the previous Secret Wars so it’s the first time I’ve been part of this and I really feel honoured to be invited. I know Jon Burgerman and Ian Silverstone really well so it’s all fun.

4. You have done a lot of things over the years. What has been the highlight for you?

JB: Probably doing a computer game for Sony called Wipeout Pure. I had all of the 3D designers making whatever I wanted. I like any project that people trust your own ideas, anything like that is good.

PF: If I were honest I would have to say Kia car commercials. A long time ago I would have said the Super Furry Animals job, but it was incredible to work alongside Aardman for the animation. Definitely out of Kia and Super Furry animals.

5. What’s the next big thing you have lined up?

JB: It’s difficult to quantify. I have some exhibitions coming up, a show in Edinburgh, an exhibition in Paris with two other artists and also Amsterdam. I have quite a few commercial projects in the pipeline, but not sure when any of those will be ready.Getting the chance to do your own work is always a joy as it gives you a chance to develop.

PF: For the last couple of years I’ve been working on various animation projects. We are starting an animation pilot with BabyClaw working alongside amazing young writers. We are preparing the pilot script and animation for BBC3, which has taken about 3years to develop. I’m also putting together a couple of compilation CD’s, one called heavenly and another for the pop heads which should be out some time in the summer.

6. Where’s the weirdest place you have travelled to for a job?

JB: The most obscure place was Düsseldorf. I have been to Dublin, which was lovely, but all the people I met there were weird, but lovely. It’s really good I get to see so many places.

PF: Uri Geller’s house.

7. Have you guys ever worked together before? Are there any other artists out there who you would love to collaborate with?

JB: I did some painting with peter in Manchester at a bar called Common a few years back, but we have also been at things where we doodle together. Yes there are lots. It would be nice to work with some of the big guns like Warhol, but he is dead. There are loads of great artists around. Events like this give a good chance to meet people who you haven’t worked with before.

PF: I have done live painting events with the guys before. Hmm there are lots of artists I would love to work with. I don’t know how it would work, but someone like Peter Blake is a must.

written by Gabriella Weekes (Nani?)http://nanilondon.blogspot.com/

No comments: